- April 15, 2023
- By: Vladimir Charlemagne
If you are a veteran or a former service member, you probably know how important your DD214 is. This document, officially known as the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, is proof of your military service. It contains information such as your dates of service, awards and decorations, type of discharge, and reason for separation. You may need your DD214 for various purposes, such as applying for veterans’ benefits, retirement, employment, or membership in veterans’ organizations.
But what if you lose your DD214 or it gets damaged? Don’t worry, you can get a replacement copy of your DD214 in several ways. In this blog, we will show you how to request a new DD214 online, by mail or fax, or in person. We will also give you some tips on how to keep your DD214 safe and accessible.
How to request a replacement copy of DD214 online
One of the easiest and fastest ways to get a new DD214 is to request it online through the milConnect website. This is a secure portal that allows you to access your military records and other information. Here are the steps to request your DD214 online:
- Go to the milConnect website at https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect
- Sign in with your Premium DS Logon account. If you don’t have one, you can register or upgrade your account on the website.
- From your signed-in homepage, click or tap on Correspondence/Documentation. Then select Defense Personnel Records Information (DPRIS) from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the Personnel File tab. Select Request My Personnel File.
- Fill out the form. In the Document Index section, check the boxes next to the document(s) you’d like to request. Make sure you select DD Form 214 – Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.
- Click or tap on the Create and Send Request button.
You will receive an email confirming that your request has been submitted. You will receive another email when your request is complete and your files are ready for you to review and download. You can also check the status of your request by signing in to milConnect and going to the Personnel File tab within the DPRIS section.
The processing time for online requests may vary depending on the availability of your records and the volume of requests. It usually takes between 3 to 10 business days to complete an online request.
How to request a replacement copy of DD214 by mail or fax
Another way to get a new DD214 is to request it by mail or fax using the SF-180 form. This is a standard form that allows you to request military records from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), which is the official repository of military personnel records. Here are the steps to request your DD214 by mail or fax:
- Go to the NPRC website at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records
- Download and print the SF-180 form. You can also request a copy of the form by calling 1-314-801-0800.
- Fill out the form. Make sure you provide as much information as possible about yourself and your military service. Indicate that you are requesting a copy of your DD214 in Section II – Information Requested.
- Mail or fax the form to the NPRC address or fax number that corresponds to your branch of service and discharge date. You can find this information on page 2 of the SF-180 form.
You will receive a confirmation letter from the NPRC acknowledging that they have received your request. You will receive another letter when your request is complete and your documents are ready for you to review and download. You can also check the status of your request by calling 1-866-272-6272.
The processing time for mail or fax requests may vary depending on the availability of your records and the volume of requests. It usually takes between 10 to 90 days to complete a mail or fax request.
How to request a replacement copy of DD214 in person
A third way to get a new DD214 is to request it in person at a local VA regional office or a military personnel office. This may be a good option if you need your DD214 urgently or if you prefer face-to-face assistance. Here are the steps to request your DD214 in person:
- Go to the VA website at https://www.va.gov/find-locations
- Find the nearest VA regional office or military personnel office that offers walk-in service for military records requests. You can call or visit the office to make an appointment. You can also use the e
- Benefits website at https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage to schedule an appointment online.
- Prepare for your visit. Bring your photo ID and any documents or information that can help verify your military service, such as your Social Security number, service number, dates of service, branch of service, and type of discharge.
- Visit the office at your scheduled time. Explain that you are requesting a copy of your DD214 and provide your ID and other documents or information. The staff will assist you with your request and print out a copy of your DD214 for you.
The processing time for in-person requests may vary depending on the availability of your records and the volume of requests. It usually takes between 15 minutes to 1 hour to complete an in-person request.
Your DD214 is a vital document that proves your military service and entitles you to various benefits and opportunities. If you lose your DD214 or it gets damaged, you can get a replacement copy in several ways: online, by mail or fax, or in person. We hope this blog has helped you understand how to request a new DD214 and what to expect from each method.
If you need more information or assistance with your DD214 or other military records, you can visit the following resources:
- The NPRC website at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records
- The milConnect website at https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect
- The VA website at https://www.va.gov/records
- The eBenefits website at https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage
EnduringWishes is a Digital Vault that provides a secure place for storing important documents, including the DD214. By using EnduringWishes, individuals can ensure that they never lose this crucial document, which contains information about their military service and is required for accessing certain benefits. With EnduringWishes, veterans and their families can have peace of mind knowing that their DD214 is safe and easily accessible when needed.
Thank you for reading our blog and we appreciate your feedback or questions. Please feel free to leave a comment below or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.😊